In 1919, there were 750 picture theatres in Australia and attendances for 1919-1920 ran to an astonishing 67.5 million.
This is a photo of the delicious deco Bondi Beach Kings Theatre, 1937*. Located opposite the beach on Campbell Pde, on the corner of Roscoe St, the Theatre started life as a dance hall before being converted to a cinema in 1937. It closed in 1969 and became a club and disco.
The Bondi Six Ways Theatre, located at the six ways intersection on the corner bounded by Hall St, O’Brien St and Glenayr Ave, met with a similar fate. After opening in 1923, the cinema was acquired by Hoyts in 1937 and screened its last program in 1959. It was later demolished.
Thank goodness we still have The Pav!
* Courtesy the Hood collection, State Library of NSW.
Note: excerpts taken with thanks from Waverley Council records.